Wendy Henderson has been married to her amazing husband Jeff for 21 years. Jeff is the pastor of Gwinnett Church, a campus of North Point Ministries. They have two children, their daughter Jesse and son Cole. Jesse just finished her Freshman year at Samford University and Cole is finishing his Junior year of high school. Wendy has been a stay-at-home mom for almost 19 years now and has learned a lot along the way. What she hasn’t learned from real life parenting experiences, she sought out through mentors and reflecting on the parenting of her own parents and Jeff’s parents. Wendy is a self proclaimed Karaoke icon, who loves coffee shops, traveling when she can and time with friends and family.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Creating memories and milestones through their significant birthdays
- How not to get caught up in making their birthdays about us moms vs creating fun for the girls and letting them be in on the planning
- Getting to know your daughter and her personality and celebrating her in the way that she’d enjoy most
- Being intentional with the mentors and voices in their lives and giving them a chance to speak affirmation over them on these special occcasions
- Ways to help your daughter find community and friends
- When is being involved too much? The difference in guiding our kids through problems not around them.
Thank you Wendy for your wisdom and friendship! You are a huge inspiration for me and what’s happening with Treasured Girlz. Thank you for being a behind the scenes, steady, dedicated mom that keeps her eye on what’s most important. You are so loved. – Courtney
- Champion Tribes – A group-based experience giving fathers a plan to raise their middle school sons into men of character
- Treasured Girlz – community Wendy helped Courtney dream up – she did Circle of Friends years ago with her daughter Jesse (inspired by Sharon Mankin)
- Connect with Wendy? She prefers a low profile. You can follow her husband Jeff over on Instagram or Champion Tribes or see what their family is doing at Gwinnett Church
Sponsor For July: Funoogles
When Ella-Jane opened her eyes that morning, something had changed. The glasses she loved so much had grown too familiar. Why couldn’t she have something of her own creation? She wished for eyewear that would match her style and mood every single day.
Ella-Jane was born with a congenital Cataract, a disease that would try to claim the vision in her right eye. At just 5 years old, she had endured a procedure to ensure that her sight wouldn’t be lost forever.
Funoogles doesn’t just give children the ability to choose and interchange the color and style of their glasses. It gives them a way to express creativity, assert individuality and boost self-esteem. Just as importantly, it gives parents an affordable way to keep their kids in fashion.
Our products are made in America, but our purpose spans the globe. With a little imagination, a lot of fun, and the help of the like-hearted, our hope is to reach children across the world who lack access to proper eye care.
Today, Ella-Jane lives happily in New York with her father, her older sister and brother, and her mother, Jessica Darcy, the creator and president of Funoogles.
Coupon code: “leading girls”, 20% for the month of July on Funoogles.com